Legal Responsibility

Legal Responsibility

 The Law and the Driver (HC 89)

As a driver, you have a legal responsibility for yourself, your passengers and other vehicles. In addition, vulnerable road users such as children, the elderly, people with disabilities, cyclists, motorcyclists and people in charge of animals. While driving you will need to learn to be tolerant towards all these other people and with experience, you will learn to anticipate and be prepared. Sometimes, through ignorance, lack of concentration or malice they may cause you to take evasive actions for your or their safety. You should try to control your irritation or anger towards them and remain calm. Remember if you get six points or more on your license, you will lose your driver status and have to take both the theory and practical tests again.


As a learner you will need to know the legal responsibility  restricting your use of driving a car

There are restrictions as to the age of what vehicles you can drive. There for there are various different types of License ( )  Also while driving as a learner you will need to display L Plates (HC p123) & be accompanied by appropriate license holder under special circumstances. All holders of provisional car or motorcycle licenses are NOT allowed to drive on a motorway. SEE MOTORWAY DRIVING



As a Driver you will need to know about the documents you will have to have to allow you to be able to drive given vehicles such as a car or motorbike. This is your legal responsibility


Driving License Legal Responsibility

Your Driving License old or new needs to be signed as soon as you get it. Remember with the new license it comes in two parts. The card is OK for normal identification but the paper section will be needed for the Theory and Practical Tests.

Should you change your name, address or have a change of medical condition that affects your driving. Then you will need to inform the Driving Vehicle Licensing Authority as soon as possible.

Vehicle Registration Documents (Logbook or V15)

V5cThis document lists the registered owner of the vehicle, the registration number, engine size and number. Amongst other details of the vehicle registered. It is your proof of ownership. Before driving a vehicle you will either have to own the vehicle or have the permission of the owner to drive or ride it. As from January 2004 the log book or V15 changed to the VCS Vehicle Registration Document this is the document that the keeper is issued to prove his ownership. It is also the owner’s legal responsibility to see that the information recorded on the certificate is kept up-to-date the owner is liable for any miss information that might be kept on the certificate.

Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Fund Tax)

This must be displayed on your vehicle at all times and not allowed to expire. As from January 2004 the rules regarding the exercise duty changed so that the owner is responsible to keep the vehicle taxed or registered off the road by filling the Statutory off Road Notification SORN

Statutory Off the Road Notice (SORN)

SornIs a legal necessity to inform the DVLA if your car is not going to be used on the road and you are going to keep it or store it untaxed off the public road. If you do not inform the DVLA it is a punishable offence. When you return the car or sell or scrap the car again you must inform the DVLA. It is your legal responsibility

Translate »